Family activity. Come and have fun in our well-equipped pottery studio. Learn different techniques working together to produce creative ceramic pieces. Beginners welcome.As this course is funded by Leeds City Council, priority will be given to new learners in receipt of benefits.Only for adults accompanied by children. Max 2 children per adult.
Who is the course aimed at?
For family groups, adults and children, who want to learn together.
Parents or guardians with their school age children. Adults must be accompanied by up to 2 children.
Course description in brief
To promote family learning
To acquire new skills
To build confidence
By the end of the course I will have learned:
* To have an understanding of a range of materials and processes
* How to be aware of health and safety in the pottery studio
* To have increased my confidence in learning
* And gained from the experience of learning alongside children
* New skills
* To produce some pieces of pottery and to have had fun
Do I need any skills, experience or qualifications before I join the course?
What equipment will I need for the course?
All materials and equipment are supplied. An old shirt or overall will be needed but some can be supplied.
What materials will I need for the course?
There is a firing charge of £2.20 a kilo
What activities will I take part in and how will my course be structured?
10 week block of teaching.
Tutor demonstrations for all activities.
This is a project led course and depending on the time of year, the projects vary, each project lasts for a few weeks enabling considered learning. The projects use different techniques and by the end of the block of teaching you will have learnt many different ways of using clay.
A list of typical projects;-
- Coil pots
- Model making
- Tile pictures
- Throwing on potters wheel
- Christmas decorations etc.
The emphasis is on learning alongside children/adults and to have fun while you increase
Your knowledge of pottery
What will be expected of me in terms of personal or time commitment?
To be punctual and attend as many classes as you can
To be pleasant to other students/staff
To help each other to learn
How will my learning be assessed and reviewed?
There will be ongoing peer group assessment, and tutor assessment.
An individual learning log sheet is provided so that students can fill in a weekly diary, and keep track of their progress. This will be used for a review at the end of the course.
What could I go on to do after I have finished the course?
Various other courses at Swarthmore. Advice and guidance is available.
How will I say what I think about the course?
Feedback forms at the end of the course
The weekly diary kept on the individual learning logs also provides an opportunity to say what you think of the course.
At the end of the course you will be asked to fill in a simple feedback form
Available timetables for this course
Please make a note of the course Ref for the course you are interested in.
|Course Ref||Hours per week||Days(s)||Time||Course Dates||Costs|
|L571c||1.5||Tuesday||4:30pm – 6pm||24 Apr to 3 Jul 2018 (10 weeks)||One off £6.00 (funder_code:L)|
Swarthmore provides a variety of courses some of which are subsidised by public funding.
Courses with course codes pre-fixed by a letter ‘F’, ‘L’ or ‘N’ are subsidised and have age restrictions.
- ‘F’: courses are accredited and are funded by the ‘Skills Funding Agency’ for those aged 16 and over.
- ‘L’ & ‘N’ courses for those aged 19 and over.
- ‘L’ courses are supported by Leeds City Council for Leeds Metropolitan area residents, priority given to those living in disadvantaged areas, people not in employment and/or in receipt of benefits, those with low skills, no qualifications, disadvantaged groups or individuals with specific needs e.g. lone parents, BAME groups, adults with LDD.
For information funding and eligibility see the ‘costs’ page.
Unless stated otherwise - all courses take place at Swarthmore Education Centre Leeds
To enrol in a course complete the enrolment form on the download page using the correct course reference (Course Ref) from above.