Swarthmore Study Programme (16-25)
Swarthmore Study Programme is for young people ages 16-25 who have additional support needs offering Personal Learning Programmes – based on real life experiences
This full time course for young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, offers a wide range of opportunities to suit the needs of individual students.
We focus on providing a general education and utilise a broad range of learning opportunities to improve English, Maths and IT skills, with the aim of preparing our students for employment or further training. The course promotes the development of ‘independence skills’, e.g. travel training and decision making.
When you are ready we will find appropriate work experience for you and support you in this experience. We will then support you to find paid work or move you on to further education and/or training. Swarthmore Careers service can help you plan what to do next.
The Swarthmore Study Programme was inspected by OFSTED in January 2014 and was rated as ‘Good’.
The new term starts on Monday 14th September . Recruitment is throughout the year.
Course Times and Attendance
From September 2015 all new and continuing students attend: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (10am – 4pm). Students in their last year attend: Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday and Friday (10am – 4pm)
What You Will Get From the Course
- Improved confidence and independence
- Improved English, Maths and IT skills
- The opportunity to work with a Job Coach and get experience of work through job placements
- Functional Skills or Open College qualifications to recognise the progress you make
- Improved social and personal skills through taking part in projects and visits to places of interest . We visit galleries, museums, cities, parks and other places suggested by the group by walking or using public transport. Projects may include arts and crafts, cookery, DIY or other activities.
- Our class sizes are small and our tutor team has Maths specialists, English specialists and a Job Coach, plus Teaching Assistants and a course Manager. The course is funded by the Education Funding Agency and by Leeds City Council.
The courses can last for up to 3 years but this can be varied depending on individual need and progress.
To meet our students/tutors and find out more, please call the course manager Amanda Torbitt or contact the course team at Swarthmore to arrange your visit. 01132432210.
Places are very limited.
Study Programme Innovations
As part of our ongoing Study Programme Innovations project we partnered with Paragram Digital to produce a series of leaflets and video showcasing what our Study Programme offers, and commissioned DG3 Design to help us produce a Study Programme Innovations infographic. Click on the images below to discover more!