Computer course. Build up your computer skills further using MS Publisher and ready-made design layouts, create fancy cards, fliers, certificates, business cards, calendars etc including importing photos from internet cameras and scanners.
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is funded by Leeds City Council who particularly wish to attract the following groups, although this does not exclude others from joining:
- People wanting to build underlying skills in order to build the confidence to join other higher level accredited courses.
- People who are not already on any of Swarthmore’s registers
- Unemployed people (adults 19+)*
- People with key and basic skills needs: literacy, numeracy, language.
- People who are underrepresented in educational opportunities, including black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lone parents & older adults (60+).
- People in low paid and unskilled work, part time and temporary workers.
Course description in brief
Explore some of the Design Templates in MS Publisher 2010, using plain or ready-made design layouts to create fancy stationery, cards, fliers and certificates
By the end of the course I will have learned:
Use MS Publisher 2010
Produce a variety of documents using Blank Publications and popular Templates such as:
Flyers and Posters
Greeting, Invitation, Birthday Cards
Make changes to the ready-made design templates to suit own preferences and needs :
Insert/Delete Text Box
Add, Edit and Format Text
Insert pictures from Files, Clip Art, Internet, Camera
Format Pictures – Styles, Colour, Brightness, Crop
Add Fancy Borders
Save and Print, Open and Close Files
Do I need any skills, experience or qualifications before I join the course?
You will need some experience of using a computer and working in a Windows environment. You will be able to use a mouse and keyboard, and be familiar with using Windows menus and toolbars (eg File, Save, Print).
What equipment will I need for the course?
You may find it useful to bring along a notebook and pen to take notes
What materials will I need for the course?
What activities will I take part in and how will my course be structured?
The course will be guided by the tutor to develop skills week by week. There will be a mixture of tutor demonstrations and talks, group discussions, and practical tasks carried out with individual support from the tutor where required.
What will be expected of me in terms of personal or time commitment?
You will be expected to attend your course weekly, and arrive on time. If you are unable to attend you will be expected to contact the centre to tell us. If we don’t hear from you for 2 weeks, you may lose your place on the course.
How will my learning be assessed and reviewed?
With tutor support, you will be able to demonstrate your learning and achievement throughout the course. This may include:
Your tracking sheet
What could I go on to do after I have finished the course?
You could enrol onto a CLAIT workshop and work towards the unit 4, e Publication Creation at level 1
How will I say what I think about the course?
At the end of the course you will be asked to fill in a simple feedback form. You may also talk to your tutor.
Available timetables for this course
Please make a note of the course Ref for the course you are interested in.
|Course Ref||Hours per week||Days(s)||Time||Course Dates||Costs|
|L267a||2||Thursday||1pm – 3pm||27 Sep to 6 Dec 2018 (10 weeks)||Full rate £66.00; R rate £22.00; A rate £6.00 (funder_code:L)|
Swarthmore provides a variety of courses some of which are subsidised by public funding.
Courses with course codes pre-fixed by a letter ‘F’, ‘L’ or ‘N’ are subsidised and have age restrictions.
- ‘F’: courses are accredited and are funded by the ‘Skills Funding Agency’ for those aged 16 and over.
- ‘L’ & ‘N’ courses for those aged 19 and over.
- ‘L’ courses are supported by Leeds City Council for Leeds Metropolitan area residents, priority given to those living in disadvantaged areas, people not in employment and/or in receipt of benefits, those with low skills, no qualifications, disadvantaged groups or individuals with specific needs e.g. lone parents, BAME groups, adults with LDD.
For information funding and eligibility see the ‘costs’ page.
Unless stated otherwise - all courses take place at Swarthmore Education Centre Leeds
To enrol in a course complete the enrolment form on the download page using the correct course reference (Course Ref) from above.