A non-accredited course for those who wish to learn initial counselling skills and understand some key counselling concepts.
Who is the course aimed at?
Anyone who wants to find out more about counselling skills and/or counselling. You may be working or volunteering in a helping capacity or you may feel you want to move into that sort of area. Perhaps you feel people often bring their problems to you and you would like to learn how to handle this.
Course description in brief
1. To learn to use counselling skills safely.
2. To learn about the nature of ‘helping’, and of confidentiality.
3. To increase and communicate empathic understanding.
4. To learn to listen and focus on the other person.
5. To increase self-awareness.
6. To learn and practice client-centred counselling skills.
7. To learn to use self-reflection
By the end of the course I will have learned:
- 1. Understand and be able to communicate this level of helping.
2. Use understanding and skills to establish the helping interaction.
3. Use skills to communicate empathic understanding.
4. Enable the other person to stay focussed on their own concerns.
5. Use increased self-awareness in helping interactions.
6. Use counselling skills to enable the other person to explore their concerns.
7. Be able to reflect on and enhance my own learning.
8. Increased my communication skills.
9. Written a personal learning Review
Do I need any skills, experience or qualifications before I join the course?
You do not need any counselling skills experience or training. However your spoken English and your understanding of spoken English need to be fluent. The course involves writing, but if you have difficulties with this we can negotiate other ways of recording, and/or appropriate support
What equipment will I need for the course?
A4 ring binder and pad and pen
What materials will I need for the course?
What activities will I take part in and how will my course be structured?
This is a highly participative and practical course, encouraging learning through group discussion, small group exercises and practise in threes and pairs.
1. You will learn about and practice basic client-centred counselling skills, such as listening, reflecting and paraphrasing. A video showing Carl Rogers (founder of client-centred therapy) will further enhance your understanding.
2. You will be encouraged to share about yourself in the group, and thus increase your self-awareness. This inevitably leads to an increase in self-confidence. Specific self-awareness exercises will add to your self knowledge.
3. You will explore the nature of prejudice, and in particular your personal experience of prejudice, and will discuss the need for non-judgemental acceptance when using counselling skills.
4. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your increasing awareness of counselling skills and self reflection by sharing examples of times at work or socially, when you have used skills.
These topics run in parallel throughout the course, starting with looking at the difference between counselling and using counselling skills and creating a safe place, and ending with a consolidation of your learning. Although everything will be covered, the order can change from group to group, in order to respond the needs of each group
What will be expected of me in terms of personal or time commitment?
• You will be expected to complete a Learning Review in your own time, probably about 1 hour per week.
• You will be expected to attend a minimum of 80% of course time. That is a minimum of 12 sessions.
• You will gain most from the course if you are willing to share your experiences and feelings and participate fully in the practical exercises
How will my learning be assessed and reviewed?
• By completion of the learning review for which you will get guidance and feedback.
• By peer and tutor feedback on your skills practice.
What could I go on to do after I have finished the course?
You may choose to use your skills to enhance your interactions with others, in various situations, without further training.
You can continue your counselling skills training, at this centre, by joining the Certificate in counselling Skills.
Courses at Swarthmore satisfy the requirements for applying to courses outside the centre at the various levels
How will I say what I think about the course?
There will be opportunity at the beginning of each session, or you can talk to your tutor individually, at any time.
You will also be asked to complete a feedback form.
You can speak to the programme manager.
Available timetables for this course
Please make a note of the course Ref for the course you are interested in.
|Course Ref||Hours per week||Days(s)||Time||Course Dates||Costs|
|312a||3||Wednesday||2:00 PM – 5:00 PM||25 Sep 2019 to 04 Dec 2019 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
|313a||3||Wednesday||6:00 PM – 9:00 PM||25 Sep 2019 to 04 Dec 2019 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
|312b||3||Wednesday||2:00 PM – 5:00 PM||15 Jan 2020 to 25 Mar 2020 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
|313b||3||Wednesday||6:00 PM – 9:00 PM||15 Jan 2020 to 25 Mar 2020 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
|312c||3||Wednesday||2:00 PM – 5:00 PM||22 Apr 2020 to 01 Jul 2020 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
|313c||3||Wednesday||6:00 PM – 9:00 PM||22 Apr 2020 to 01 Jul 2020 (10 Sessions)||Full Rate £189; R Rate £143; A Rate £95|
Swarthmore provides a variety of courses some of which are subsidised by public funding.
Courses with course codes marked by ‘LCC’ and ‘CityC’ are subsidised and have age restrictions.
- ‘LCC’ and ‘CityC’ courses for those aged 19 and over.
- ‘LCC’ courses are supported by Leeds City Council for Leeds Metropolitan area residents, priority given to those living in disadvantaged areas, people not in employment and/or in receipt of benefits, those with low skills, no qualifications, disadvantaged groups or individuals with specific needs e.g. lone parents, BAME groups, adults with LDD.
For information funding and eligibility see the ‘costs’ page.
Unless stated otherwise - all courses take place at Swarthmore Education Centre Leeds
To enrol in a course complete the enrolment form on the download page using the correct course reference (Course Ref) from above.