Courses for people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities.
Basic maths and English.
Who is the course aimed at?
People who want to improve basic literacy/numeracy skills
Course description in brief
- To enable learners to improve existing skills in reading, writing, spelling and numeracy at basic levels of ability.
- To teach skills that will improve everyday life for students.
By the end of the course I will have learned:
Improved my skills in:
Do I need any skills, experience or qualifications before I join the course?
What equipment will I need for the course?
None, as all course materials and equipment will be supplied by Swarthmore.
What materials will I need for the course?
What activities will I take part in and how will my course be structured?
- Social skills
- Groupwork: decision-making
- Discussions – verbal communication
- Basic comprehension
- Alphabet work: upper, lower case
- Sentence structure
- Basic numeracy
What will be expected of me in terms of personal or time commitment?
To work at your own level of ability, with support if necessary.
How will my learning be assessed and reviewed?
What could I go on to do after I have finished the course?
Progress to a higher level qualification.
How will I say what I think about the course?
- Through a confidential feed back form.
- Through talking with the Tutor.
Available timetables for this course
Please make a note of the course Ref for the course you are interested in.
|Course Ref||Hours per week||Days(s)||Time||Course Dates||Costs|
|L132||2||Thursday||1pm – 3pm||27 Sep 2018 to 20 Jun 2019 (30 weeks)||Free course £0.00 (funder_code:L)|
Swarthmore provides a variety of courses some of which are subsidised by public funding.
Courses with course codes pre-fixed by a letter ‘F’, ‘L’ or ‘N’ are subsidised and have age restrictions.
- ‘F’: courses are accredited and are funded by the ‘Skills Funding Agency’ for those aged 16 and over.
- ‘L’ & ‘N’ courses for those aged 19 and over.
- ‘L’ courses are supported by Leeds City Council for Leeds Metropolitan area residents, priority given to those living in disadvantaged areas, people not in employment and/or in receipt of benefits, those with low skills, no qualifications, disadvantaged groups or individuals with specific needs e.g. lone parents, BAME groups, adults with LDD.
For information funding and eligibility see the ‘costs’ page.
Unless stated otherwise - all courses take place at Swarthmore Education Centre Leeds
To enrol in a course complete the enrolment form on the download page using the correct course reference (Course Ref) from above.