A practical Alexander Technique course to improve your health and physical well being through increased awareness of balance, posture and movement in everyday activities. Also useful to singers and public speakers.
Who is the course aimed at?
People who want to learn about Alexander Technique
Course description in brief
To teach the fundamentals of the Alexander Technique.
By the end of the course I will have learned:
- Learned something of the history of F.M. Alexander
- Learned the basics of the theory underpinning the Alexander Technique
- Learned a range of procedures to help the mind/body to function in a stress-free, co-ordinated manner.
- Followed instructions
- Helped other learners
Do I need any skills, experience or qualifications before I join the course?
What equipment will I need for the course?
Loose comfortable clothing – trousers or track suit bottoms.
What activities will I take part in and how will my course be structured?
The teaching will be conducted on both a theoretical and practical levels.
Individual, small group and large group work will be utilised.
There will be some handouts and some video sequences.
Activities will be such things as lying, standing, sitting, walking and thinking.
What will be expected of me in terms of personal or time commitment?
1½ hours x 8 weeks.
All extra-curriculum activity is at your discretion.
How will my learning be assessed and reviewed?
What could I go on to do after I have finished the course?
A continuation course and/or individual lessons.
How will I say what I think about the course?
Discussion at the beginning of each weekly class.
At the end of the course you will be asked to fill in a simple feedback form
Available timetables for this course
Please make a note of the course Ref for the course you are interested in.
|Course Ref||Hours per week||Days(s)||Time||Course Dates||Costs|
|S810a||1.5||Tuesday||6pm – 7:30pm||2 Oct to 27 Nov 2018 (8 weeks)||Full rate £67.00; R rate £51.00; A rate £34.00 (funder_code:S)|
|S812a||1||Wednesday||6pm – 7pm||3 Oct to 28 Nov 2018 (8 weeks)||Full rate £45.00; R rate £33.00; A rate £23.00 (funder_code:S)|
|S811a||1.5||Friday||3:30pm – 5pm||5 Oct to 30 Nov 2018 (8 weeks)||Full rate £67.00; R rate £51.00; A rate £34.00 (funder_code:S)|
Swarthmore provides a variety of courses some of which are subsidised by public funding.
Courses with course codes pre-fixed by a letter ‘F’, ‘L’ or ‘N’ are subsidised and have age restrictions.
- ‘F’: courses are accredited and are funded by the ‘Skills Funding Agency’ for those aged 16 and over.
- ‘L’ & ‘N’ courses for those aged 19 and over.
- ‘L’ courses are supported by Leeds City Council for Leeds Metropolitan area residents, priority given to those living in disadvantaged areas, people not in employment and/or in receipt of benefits, those with low skills, no qualifications, disadvantaged groups or individuals with specific needs e.g. lone parents, BAME groups, adults with LDD.
For information funding and eligibility see the ‘costs’ page.
Unless stated otherwise - all courses take place at Swarthmore Education Centre Leeds
To enrol in a course complete the enrolment form on the download page using the correct course reference (Course Ref) from above.